Poison Prevention Week: What You Need To Know!

This week is Poison Prevention Week!!

Every day this week we will be posting about common household items that you should be aware of so you can help protect your adorable canine companion!!

mothballs

First up: MOTHBALLS.
Toxicity: Generally moderate to severe, life-threatening.

Mothballs are pesticides that slowly release a gas vapor to kill and repel moths (and their larvae) and other insects. The chemicals in mothballs can be inhaled, absorbed through the skin, or absorbed through the stomach and intestines. Cats are more sensitive to the toxic effects of mothballs, but dogs are more likely to ingest mothballs. BEWARE.

4leaf

Poison Prevention: 4 LEAF CLOVERS- Might not be so lucky!

Toxicity: Toxic to dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses

Clinical Signs: All parts of the plant have toxic potential, although the possibility of serious effects is usually limited to ingestion’s of large quantities. Consuming Oxalis species can produce colic in horses, and kidney failure is possible if significant amounts are eaten.

 

 

sanitizer

Poison Prevention: HAND SANITIZER (Ethanol)

Toxicity: Generally mild to moderate

Like other types of alcohol poisoning, large ingestions of hand sanitizer can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature, resulting in clinical signs of weakness, lethargy, vomiting, collapsing, hypothermia, weak respiration, coma, and rarely death.

Don’t leave your sanitizer out!

ibu

Poison Prevention: IBUPROFIN

Toxicity: Generally moderate to severe, life threatening

When pets ingest small doses of an NSAID, it can result in severe stomach ulcers, causing signs of vomiting, bloody vomitus, diarrhea, black-tarry stool, weakness, pale gums (anemia), abdominal pain, lethargy, and loss of appetite. With larger ingestions, halitosis, kidney failure, liver failure and neurological problems (e.g., tremors, seizures) can develop.

Don’t let your canine’s paws get a hold of these pills!

dert

Poison Prevention: FERTILIZER.

Toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and concentration of the product

Most fertilizers contain various amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. They may also contain iron, copper, zinc, cobalt, boron, manganese and molybdenum, some of which may be toxic in large concentrations. (If we can’t pronounce it, we DEFINITELY don’t want them ingesting it!) Fertilizers may also contain herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides which increases the risk of poisoning. While small ingestions of fertilizer may only result in mild stomach upset, larger ingestions can result in severe poisoning from the iron, nitrogen and other chemicals. Large ingestions of meal-based fertilizers may also form a concretion in the stomach resulting in a bowel obstruction or severe and painful inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).

 

We want to make sure you’re prepared for an emergency situation. The Good Dog Spot is hosting a Pet First Aid & CPR Training later this month that we would like to extend to everyone in our area!

CPR

Tags: ,