This week is National Dog Bite Prevention Week
The Good Dog Spot knows the world is full of great dogs, but even the best dogs can be put into a situation where they feel threatened. Here are some shocking facts about dog bites in the U.S.:
• Each year, more than 4.5 million people in the U.S. are bitten by dogs.
• Almost 1 in 5 people bitten by dogs require medical attention.
• Every year, more than 800,000 Americans receive medical attention for dog bites; at least half of them are children.
• Children are, by far, the most common victims of dog bites and are far more likely to be severely injured.
• Most dog bites affecting young children occur during everyday activities and while interacting with familiar dogs.
• Senior citizens are the second most common dog bite victims.