March is National Poison Prevention Month!

March is National Poison Prevention Month!dog-food-warning-grapes

Check in with us throughout the month for tips on how to keep your pup safe!

One food to keep your dog away from: GRAPES!

Poisonous to: Dogs

Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe

Common signs to watch for:

-Abnormal drinking or urination

Grapes, raisins, and even currants (some currants are actually small, black grapes) are toxic to your dog! In fact, there have been anecdotal reports of cats and ferrets being affected by these also. Ingestion of even a small amount of grapes, raisins, or currants can result in severe, acute kidney failure. All types of grape- or raisin-containing products (including grape juice, trail mix, bagels, etc.) can result in this. Even organic, pesticide-free, grapes grown in home gardens can result in toxicity. Although the mechanism of action is not clearly understood on how grapes, raisins and currants are poisonous at this time, this common fruit can result in anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially severe acute renal failure (which develops several days later). The toxicity is not necessarily dose-dependent, and symptoms can occur with even small ingestions. Decontamination (e.g., inducing vomiting, decontaminating with activated charcoal, etc.), aggressive supportive care, aggressive IV fluid therapy, and kidney function (e.g., BUN/creatinine) monitoring is recommended.
If you suspect your pet ingested grapes, raisins, or currants, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations. (1-800-213-6680)

Poison type: Foods

Alternate names: Vitis, raisins, currants, sultanas

Thank you to Pet Poison Helpline.