We have begun to receive calls and have pet parents picking up and dropping off their loved ones start asking about Canine Flu. We wanted to provide this information to provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.
If your pet has a weakened immune system, is a young puppy, or is a senior dog, refrain from bringing him/her to social settings where they will come into contact with large amounts of dogs. Boost your pet’s immune system at home by supplementing plain full-fat yogurt, a probiotic, Colloidal Silver, or Colostrum to their diet. Lastly, speak with your vet about a vaccination plan that is best for your dog’s individual needs.
H3N2 Symptoms & Facts
- Symptoms include coughing, sneezing, fever, lethargy, eye discharge
- and reduced appetite
- 1 case has been confirmed in Hadley, MA at Valley Vet (December 1, 2017)
- It cannot spread to humans
- H3N2 is very contagious, and can spread from dogs to cats
- Puppies, elderly, pregnant, and dogs that travel or socialize with other dogs are at the highest risk for H3N2
If your Dog shows Flu Symptoms
- Keep your dog separate from healthy animals.
- Call your vet to alert them, and use a side entrance (not the waiting room)
- when visiting the vet.
- Tell your vet if your dog has been to kennels, dog shows, daycare, dog parks,
- or other events with many animals present.
- Change clothes after interacting with your sick animal.
- If your dog is diagnosed with H3N2, tell the owners of any other pets your dog has potentially exposed to the virus.
- Also, if your dog has been diagnosed with the H3N2 virus, notify any pet care/ training facilities your dog has attended in the last two weeks.
Also, as a reminder, the Vaccination Policy at TGDS will remain the same (we require only the rabies vaccination and suggest clients have an in-depth conversation with their veterinarian about their personal needs, lifestyle and beliefs regarding vaccines). We encourage anyone who receives a live virus vaccination (for canine cough or canine flu) to refrain from attending daycare for at least 3 to 5 days after vaccination to prevent spreading the virus or contracting a mild case themselves.
For a printable copy of this information sheet please click here.