Archive | March, 2014

The month of April’s Spaw Special is HERE!

Be sure to add on the de-shedding treatment to your dog’s grooming appointment!

 

DE-SHED TREATMENT

With the weather changes, so does your pet’s coat!
Notice hair building up all over the house?!

Let’s take care of that this month!

Add the de-shed treatment to your pup’s grooming
this month for a discounted rate!

$5.00 OFF!

The de-shed treatment includes a natural shampoo and conditioner specifically designed to remove dead hair, followed by thorough drying and brushing out with brushes designed to remove the undercoat.April2014

Get Your Pup Ready For Spring!

Be sure to check out next week’s Spot Special!

Get your pooch smelling refreshing for the Spring!!

Mutt Nose Best Shampoo

 10% OFF
Price Range: $12.99

Natural & Organic, Eco-Friendly, Sulfrate Free, and Handcrafted in the USA! Treat your dog to a wonderful bathing experience with one of the five Mutt Nose Best All Natural Shampoos that we carry at The Good Dog Spot.

033114_040614

Your Pup is Sweet Enough!

ATTENTION ALL PET OWNERS:
Your Pup is Sweet Enough!
chocolate-dog-chocolate-health-nutrition-arthritis-vet-getupandgo
March is National Poison Prevention Month!

Something you need to be aware of: CHOCOLATE

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to severe

Common signs to watch for:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness
  • Vomiting
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Hypertension (elevated blood pressure)
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Tremors
  • Hyperthermia (elevated body temperature)
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Death

While the occasional chocolate chip within one cookie may not be an issue, we worry about certain types of chocolate – the less sweet and the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your dog. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. Other sources include chewable, flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. The chemical toxicity is due to a methylxanthine (like theobromine and caffeine), and results in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, inflammation of the pancreas (i.e., pancreatitis), an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and rarely, even death. Dogs make up 95% of all our chocolate calls, as cats are usually too discriminating to eat chocolate! In smaller dogs, even the wrappers from candy can result in a secondary obstruction in the stomach or intestines.

This Week’s Spot Special!

Be sure to check out this week’s Spot Special!

March 24th- 30th:

 

Henry & Clemmie’s Henry and Clemmies Dog Travel Pack Red (3)

    Travel Pack
       10% OFF

 

Price Range: $17.99- $23.99

 

Great for dogs that love to hike and be outdoors! They can hold on to their own poop bags, food, water and anything else you can think of in the oversized storage packs.

The Henry & Clemmie’s Travel Pack is super durable, has a lightweight design, superior padding, and has super bright reflective piping!

 

Find a Penny, Pick It Up!!!

ATTENTION ALL PET OWNERS:
Find a Penny, Pick It Up!!!

March is National Poison Prevention Month!coin-stack-xray-things-dogs-eat
Something you need to be aware of: COINS!

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe, life-threatening

Common signs to watch for:
-Weakness
-Pale gums (anemia)
-Vomiting
-Increased breathing
-Increased heart rate
-Discolored urine
-Jaundiced gums
-Lack of appetite
-Collapse
-Death

Zinc poisoning can occur in dogs, cats, and birds secondary to ingesting metal pieces (e.g., nuts, bolts, hardware and other galvanized metals), certain topical ointments (e.g., diaper rash creams), or coins. While some coins can be safely ingested and passed out in the stool a few days later, some types of coins contain large amounts of zinc, resulting in zinc poisoning. When the zinc-containing coin enters the acid environment of the stomach, the zinc breaks down, causing stomach upset and zinc absorption into the blood stream. Zinc poisoning can lead to destruction of red blood cells, liver damage, kidney failure and heart failure. Clinical signs of zinc poisoning include weakness, pale gums (anemia), vomiting, increased breathing, increased heart rate, discolored urine, jaundiced gums, lack of appetite, and collapse. Removal of the coin is important, or severe damage to the red blood cells can occur, resulting in a severe anemia. Without therapy, ingestion of a zinc penny can be fatal.

If you suspect your dog, cat, or bird ingested a metal piece or coin, an x-ray should be done immediately. Call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for life-saving treatment advice.

Content written by: Dr. Cat Angle, DVM, MPH, Pet Poison Helpline

Have You Taken Us Up On Our Offer?

Has your pup had the chance to take advantage of our March
SPAW SPECIAL???

With the extreme weather conditions we’ve been experiencing, it’s important to maintain your pet’s paws and pads.

LAVISH PAW and PAD TREATMENT helps revitalize paws and pads. A combination of oatmeal, warm vanilla and milk thistle helps heal damage to paws!

For the month of March, this treatment can be added on to your dog’s grooming for only $10.00!

March2014

Limerick Contest Winners Announced!

Congratulations to our winners of the 2014 Limerick Contest!

Third Place: Gustav’s mom, Ashleigh Viens.
Second Place: Mandy’s mom, Kathryn Rivet
First Place: Raeven’s mom, Cyndi Heine

Congratulations to you all! Feel free to stop in our lobby to collect your prizes!

Thank you everyone for making the Annual St. Patrick’s Day Pawty a success!!!lep